Towards the development of an "electronic sense of
last updated: February 01, 2001
A total of people have visited this page since 3/9/99.
This is a partial listing of some of the news articles that have appeared
concerning the development of an "electronic sense of taste" or
"electronic tongue" by our research groups here at the University
of Texas at Austin. Due to copyright restrictions, some of these articles
may be available only by special
To view some of the videos below you will need to have Real Video Player
(visit their web site here to get it).
- Jay Leno's monologue
on the NBC Tonight Show, 10/29/98!
- audio only via RealAudio (this is small, only 24k).
National News: World News Tonight, Friday, March 5, 1999, High Tech
Taste Tests, ABC NEWS correspondent Gina Smith reports on taste buds not
found in any mouth.
- CNN Science and Technology Week, Jan. 23, 1999 edition; also featured
in CNN Sci-Tech section, Jan. 27, 1999: "An electronic tongue on a
chip detects flavors and chemicals in liquid," Ann Kellan reporting.
- audio: BBC World Service
(radio), The Works, week 46, 1998 (about a 4 minute interview, RealAudio
- audio: Wendy Nelson, Producer-West Michigan Bureau, Great Lakes Radio
Consortium, Grand Rapids, MI., THE ELECTRONIC TONGUE, Week of December
7, 1998, url: http://www.outreach.umich.edu/audio/GLRC/Public/html/archive/1998/december98/dec7_n3.html
- "They've got it
licked," by William Wood and Lila Guterman, New Scientist,
July 18, 1998, pp. 10.
- D. Stanley, "UT
scientists engineer a tiny arbiter of taste : Electronic tongue could test
food for likely popularity and blood for cholesterol," Austin American Statesman, Sunday,
July 26, 1998, B1, B6.
- R. Dagani, "Mimicking
the tongue," Chemical and Engineering News, vol. 76,
pp. 12, 1998.
- Becky Richie, "Researchers
taste success with electronic tongue," University of Texas at
Austin College of Engineering News, Oct. 26, 1998, http://www.engr.utexas.edu/comm/archive/oct98.htm
- "Say 'ah',"
Analytical Chemistry News & Features,
pp. 567A, 1998.
- Science Daily, 10/31/98, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/10/981031175636.htm
success of artificial tongue, 11/2/98, Discovery
Channel Canada .
the Electronic Tongue," Kristen Philipkoski, Wired
News, 11/3/98 .
tongue learns to 'taste' chemicals," by R. Colin Johnson, EE Times,
11/16/98, p. 67.
- "Tastebuds on a Chip,"
by Henry Fountain, The New York Times, 11/24/98.
- "'Electronic Tongue'
Offers a Taste of the Future," by Le Dye, Los Angeles Times, November
30, 1998 .
mit Geschmackssinn," by Frank Groteluschen, Berliner Zeitung,
- (in Korean): http://www.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/199811/199811250340.html
- D. Stanley, "Students
savor prospects of marketing UT's tongue: Business students join in bid
to market device to industry," Austin American Statesman, Sunday,
Jan. 3, 1999.
- The Electronic Tongue
Of Texas, CBS News, Jan. 4, 1999.
- L. Jacobson, "Artificial Tongue Has a Taste for Many Tasks,"
in The Washington Post. Washington, DC, 1999, pp. A09.
- S. Perkins, "Taste testing with an electronic tongue," in Science
News, vol. 157, Feb. 19, 2000, pp. 126.
- Mike Fillon, "The New Bionic Man: Plastic muscles and silicon senses
blur the line between man and machine," Popular Mechanics, February
- Amanda Bronstad, "Biotech firm to hatch here," Austin Business
Journal, March 27, 2000.
Vision likes UT tongue," Austin American Statesman, Monday, May 1, 2000,
TechMonday/Section D, p. D1.
- UT researchers team wih XL Vision, press release, May 05,
- Labnetics sets up shop, May 15, 2000
- Bob Sechler, U Of Texas Takes Start-Up Equity For Technology License, Dow Jones Newswires, Dow Jones News Service,
May 18, 2000.
- UT takes equity in tech firm, May 19, 2000, Dallas Morning News
- Science Frontiers: Beyond Human Senses, The Learning Channel (TLC) Air
Time(s) Eastern/Pacific Time: Jul 11 2000 9:00 PM
- Beyond Computers,
Public Radio International radio show, Jan. 10, 2001, "Senses".